You have ordered and received your soil test kit. Congrats on being one step closer to learning your land! Now comes the fun part, collecting your sample. If you ordered the soil test with the probe you already have the tool to get those samples. If you did not order the probe, do not worry! You are able to collect a good sample with a hand trowel or shovel without damaging your turf.
Collecting A Good Soil Sample:
- Collect soil from 5-7 separate locations/spots within your desired testing area.
- The soil should be collected to a depth of 6 inches (15 cm).
- Combine the collected soil in a large plastic bag or bucket and mix thoroughly, breaking up any large chunks. (Samples should be free of any large plant material and other debris).
- Using the provided scoop, collect one level scoop of the mixed soil and add it to the jar containing DI water and the nutrient adsorbing capsule. Firmly secure lid.
- DO NOT DUMP WATER OUT OF THE JAR
Check out this video where Allyn demonstrates how to collect a soil sample:
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRgNXM_2v8E
After you collect your sample, the next step is to mail it to the lab.
Mail Your Sample to The Lab
- MAIL YOUR SAMPLE WITHIN ONE DAY OF ADDING SOIL TO THE JAR
- Ensure the jar lid is firmly secure.
- Place jar in provided postage-paid envelope.
- Place the envelope in your mailbox or anywhere USPS shipments are accepted.
**Before diving in to collect your sample, please take a moment to register your soil kit.
For the best experience, you can download the free Yard Mastery App and register your kit there:
Alternatively, you can register your soil kit online at the link below. If you have the app, you can use your app credentials to log in. Or click on the "New User? Create an Account" link and it will take you through the registration process for your kit.
Keywords: soil test, registration, soil sample, collect, probe